Welcome Summer! Are You Ready?

b2Many of us dread this time of year.  For some it’s the heat of summer, but for others it is swimsuit season! Did you gain a few pounds through the winter? Need to tone up those muscles to be swimsuit ready? The key to achieving a healthier body is having a fitness and nutritional plan. If you have a plan, studies have shown you are more likely to stick with it. Try a few of these tips to help you gain the confidence you may need to be beach bound and ready!

Water, water, WATER! Aim to drink half your body weight in ounces plus 10% every day.  If you are 150 lbs., your goal is to drink 75 ounces plus an extra 15 ounces of water every day. In the morning, try adding fresh lemon juice to get you started. Throughout the day eat a WIDE variety of fresh fruits and vegetables every day.  It sounds too simple, but it works! Set a goal of 80/20, 80% raw, fresh fruits and vegetables and the remaining 20% of the daily calories from cooked or processed foods. The keys here are “fresh” and “variety”.  When it comes to produce, if you are not familiar with the dirty dozen/clean fifteen list, take a look at the following information. It is a great guide to know which produce should be purchased as organically grown versus conventionally grown.  It does make a difference.


Each of these foods contained a number of different pesticide residues and showed high concentrations of pesticides relative to other produce items. It is recommended they always be bought as organic instead of conventionally grown: apples, strawberries, grapes, celery, peaches, spinach, sweet bell peppers, imported nectarines, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, imported snap peas and potatoes.


Relatively few pesticides were detected on these foods, and tests found low total concentrations of pesticides. No single fruit sample from the Clean Fifteen™ tested positive for more than 4 types of pesticides: avocados, sweet corn, pineapples, cabbage, frozen sweet peas, onions, asparagus, mangoes, papayas, kiwis, eggplant, grapefruit, cantaloupe, cauliflower and sweet potatoes.

It is best for the body to eat your fruit servings before lunch and then have a large fresh veggie salad midday. Go easy on the dressing. Start asking for it on the side and only add a little at a time. Avoid the creamy dressings and branch out with a balsamic dressing instead. You will be surprised to find out you do not “need” as much as you typically add.

Lastly, you have to MOVE everyday. This has to be above and beyond your normal routine. Best to focus on strength training and conditioning with 30-60 minutes of intense, not light, exercise.  We have great routines we can personalize for you to improve your health and boost progress.

A simple plan is better than no plan! Try these simple, yet effective tips and let us know how it works for you. You will be amazed at how great you will start to feel and look as you enjoy your summer!


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *